Certified Arizona Home Inspector Phoenix AZ
Component Life Expectancy
Component Replacement Costs
A well-built home can last for hundreds of years, but many of its parts must be replaced or renovated regularly. Here's a sampling of life expectancies for different products and materials used in the home, as listed in a report titled "1997 Housing Facts, Figures and Trends" published by the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) based in Washington, D.C.
Go to Component Costs
APPLIANCE / LIFE SPAN (in years)
- Compactor / 10 years
- Dishwasher / 10 years
- Garbage Disposer / 10 years
- Dryer / 10 years
- Freezer (compact) / 12 years
- Freezer (standard) / 16 years
- Microwave oven / 11 years
- Range (freestanding and built-in, electric) / 17 years
- Range (freestanding and built in, gas) / 19 years
- Range (high oven, gas) / 14 years
- Refrigerator (compact) / 14 years
- Refrigerator (standard) / 17 years
- Washer (automatic and compact) / 13 years
- Exhaust fan / 20 years
- Cast iron bathtub / 50 years
- Fiberglass bathtub and shower / 10-15 years
- Shower door (average quality) / 25 years
- Toilet / 50 years
- Kitchen cabinets / 15-20 years
- Medicine cabinet/bath vanity / 20 years
- Laminate / 10-15 years
- Ceramic tile (high-grade installation) / Lifetime
- Wood/butcher block / 20+ years
- Granite / 20+ years
- Screen / 25-50 years
- Interior (not perfect hollow core) / 30 years to life
- Interior (solid core) / 30 years to life
- Exterior (protected overhang) / 80-100 years
- Exterior (unprotected and exposed) / 25-30 years
- Folding / 30 years to life
- Garage door / 20-50 years
- Garage door opener / 10 years
FINISHES (Used for waterproofing)
- Paint, plaster and stucco / 3-5 years
- Sealer, silicone, and waxes / 1-5 years
- Oak or pine / Lifetime
- Slate flagstone / Lifetime
- Vinyl sheet or tile / Minimum 20-30 years
- Terrazzo / Lifetime
- Carpeting / 11 years
- Marble / Lifetime
FOOTINGS AND FOUNDATIONS
- Poured footing and foundation / 200 years
- Concrete block / 100 years
- Cement / 50 years
- Waterproofing (bituminous coating) / 10 years
- Termite proofing / 5 years
- Baseboard system / 20 years
HEATING, VENTILATION AND AC
- Air conditioning unit (central unit) / 15 years
- Air conditioning unit (window unit) / 10 years
- Humidifier / 8 years
- Water heater (electric) / 14 years
- Water heater (gas) / 11-13 years
- Forced air furnace, heat pump / 15 years
- Furnace, gas or oil fired / 18 years
HOME SECURITY APPLIANCES
- Intrusion system / 14 years
- Smoke detector / 12 years
- Smoke/fire/intrusion system / 10 years
- Wooden deck / 15 years
- Brick and concrete patio / 24 years
- Tennis court / 10 years
- Concrete walk / 24 years
- Gravel walk / 4 years
- Asphalt driveway / 10 years
- Swimming pool / 18 years
- Sprinkler system / 12 years
- Fence / 12 years
PAINTS AND STAINS
- Exterior paint-wood, brick and aluminum / 7-10 years
- Interior wall paint / 5-10 years
- Interior trim and door / 5-10 years
- Interior wallpaper / 7 years
- Waste pipe (concrete) / 50-100 years
- Waste pipe (cast iron) / 75-100 years
- Sinks (enamel steel sink) / 5-10 years
- Sinks (enamel cast iron sink) / 25-30 years
- Sinks (porcelain sink) / 25-30 years
- Faucets --low quality / 13-15 years
- Faucets-- high quality / 15-20 years
- Asphalt and wood shingles and shakes / 15-30 years
- Tile / 50 years
- Slate / 50-100 years
- Sheet metal / 20-50 years
- Built-up roofing (asphalt) / 12-25 years
- Built-up roofing (coat and tar) / 12-30 years
- Asphalt composition shingle / 15-30 years
- Asphalt overlap / 25-35 years
- Gutters and downspouts / 30 years
- Siding (wood) / 10-100 years
- Siding (steel) / 50 years to life
- Siding (aluminum) / 20-50 years
- Siding (vinyl) / 50 years to life
- Window glazing / 20 years
- Wood casement / 20-50 years
- Aluminum casement / 10-20 years
- Screen / 25-50 years
Roofing - Flashings - Chimneys
- Install conventional asphalt shingles over existing shingles / $1.25 - $2 / sq. ft.
- Strip and re-shingle with conventional shingles / $2 - $3 / sq. ft.
- Strip and re-roof with cedar shingles / $5 - $7 per sq. ft.
- Strip and replace built-up tar and gravel roof / $4 - $6 / sq. ft.
- Strip and replace single-ply membrane / $4 - 6 / sq. ft.
- Reflash typical chimney / $300 - $500
- Reflash typical skylight / $300 - $500
- Rebuild typical chimney above roof line / $100-$200 / lin. ft.
- Repoint typical chimney above roof line / $20-$30 / row
- Install galvanized or aluminum gutters and downspouts / $3 - $5 / lin. ft.
Soffits - Fascias - Repointing - Water Proofing
- Install aluminum soffits and fascia / $8 - $12 / lin. ft.
- Install aluminum or vinyl siding / $3 - $4.50 / sq. ft.
- Repoint exterior wall (soft mortar) / $3 - 4.50 / sq. ft.
- Repoint exterior wall (hard mortar) / $6 - $8 / sq. ft.
- Parge foundation walls / $3 - $4 / sq. ft.
- Damp proof foundation walls and install weeping tile / $60-$120 / lin. ft.
Garages - Decks - Retaining Walls - Foundation
- Install a deck / $12- $20 / sq. ft.
- Rebuild exterior basement stairwell / $3500 - $5000
- Build detached garage (single) / $8000 and up
- Build detached garage (double) / $12000 and up
- Build retaining wall (wood) / $20 - $25 / sq. ft.
- Build retaining wall (concrete) / $30 - $40 / sq. ft.
- Structure underpin one corner of house / $3500 and up
- Underpin or add foundations / $300 + / lin. ft.
- Lower basement floor by underpinning or bench footings / $150-$300 / lin. ft.
- Replace deteriorating sill beam with concrete / $60 and up / lin. ft.
- Install basement support post with proper foundation / $200 - $400
- Perform chemical treatment for termites / $500 and up
- Repair minor crack in poured concrete foundation / $400 - $800
Electric Repairs - Upgrades
- Electrical Upgrade electrical service to 100 amps / $1200-1800
- Upgrade electrical service to 200 amps / $1500 - $2000
- Install new circuit breaker panel / $500 - $700
- Add 120 volt circuit / $150 - $250
- Add 240 volt circuit / $250 - $350
- Add conventional receptacle / $75 - $150
- Replace non-GFCI receptacle with ground fault circuit receptacle / $60 - $90
- Rewire elect. outlet w/ reversed polarity if electrician is there / $5 - $10 ea.
- Install conventional alarm system fire- burglar / $1000 and up
Heating Systems - Air Conditioning
- Heating install mid-efficiency forced-air furnace / $1700 - $2500
- Install high-efficiency forced-air furnace / $2500 - $3500
- Install drum-type humidifier / $200 - $300
- Install electronic air filter / $500 - $800
- Install mid-efficiency boiler / $2500 - $4000
- Install high-efficiency boiler / $5000 - $9000
- Rebuild firepot (refractory) on boiler / $500 - $800
- Install circulating pump / $400 - $600
- Install chimney liner / $300 - $700
- Install set-back thermostat / $100 - $300
- Remove oil tank from basement / $200 - $400
- Remove abandoned underground oil tank / $3500 and up
- Replace radiator valve / $75 - $150
- Add electric baseboard heater / $150 - $250
- Convert from hot water heat to forced-air (cape) / $8000 - $10000
- Convert from hot water heat to forced-air (2 story) / $15000 - $20000
- Clean ductwork / $250 and up
- Add central AC on existing forced-air system / $2000-$3000
- Add heat pump to forced-air system / $3000-$4000
- Replace heat pump or air conditioning compressor / $800 - $1400
- Install independent air conditioning system / $8000 - $15000
- Insulation Insulate open attic to modern standards / $1 - $1.50 / sq. ft.
- Blow insulation into attic, cathedral ceiling or wall / $2 - $3.50 / sq. ft.
- Improve attic ventilation / $40 - $50 per vent
- Replace galvanized piping with copper (2 story+1 bath) / $2000 - $2500
- Replace water line to house / $1500 - $3500
- Replace toilet / $300 and up
- Replace basin / $200 and up
- Replace bathtub, including ceramic tile / $1500 and up
- Install whirlpool bath / $3000 and up
- Retile bathtub enclosure / $800 - $1200
- Replace leaking shower stall pan / $1000 - $1600
- Rebuild tile shower stall / $1500 - $2500
- Replace laundry tubs / $250 - $500
- Remodel four-piece bathroom completely / $6000 and up
- Connect waste plumbing system to municipal sewers / $3000 and up
- Install submersible pump / $800 and up
- Install suction or jet pump / $400 - $600
- Install modest basement bathroom / $4000 and up
Carpentry - Finish Work
- Sand and refinish hardwood floors / $1.50 - $3 / sq. ft.
- Interior add drywall over plaster / $1.50-$2.50 / sq. ft.
- Install replacement windows / $200 - $400 ea.
- Install storm windows / $75 - $200 ea.
- Install skylight / $500 and up
- Remodel kitchen completely / $8000 and up
- Painting (trim only) / $1500 - $2500
- Painting (trim and wall surfaces) / $3000 and up
Fireplaces - Stoves
- Repoint chimney (2 story) / $700 and up
- Convert coal-burning fireplace to wood-burning unit / $800 and up
- Install masonry fireplace (if flue already roughed in) / $2000 and up
- Install zero-clearance fireplace (including chimney) / $2500 and up
- Install glass doors on fireplace / $300 and up
- Install gas insert into existing fireplace / $2500 and up
Your satisfaction is guaranteed
Certified Arizona Home Inspector Phoenix AZ